Monday, March 19, 2007

Dilbert Doubts Darwin- Again

Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, is doubting aspects of Darwinism again- this time with some colorful language:
If you are new to the Dilbert Blog, I remind you that I don’t believe in Intelligent Design or Creationism or invisible friends of any sort. I just think that evolution looks like a blend of science and bullshit, and have predicted for years that it would be revised in scientific terms in my lifetime. It’s a hunch – nothing more.

It is great that science corrects itself. Seems like the key point is that if a theory is constantly undergoing major revisions and is obviously driven heavily by speculation, then a little humility is in order. Scientists should be cautious not to overstate their certainty in their conclusions. Of course, in the area if evolution, they are quick to overstate their certainty, quick to make fun of those who doubt, and therefore many continue to lose credibility.

A previous post on Scott Adams and his beloved P.Z. Myers is here.

******

Post Note: I do not think Adams really means what he says in the title of his post- that fossils are bullsh*t. He seems to mean that the grandiose claims of what fossils prove is bullsh*t. As for me, I think the overall fossil record is very well developed and raises serious problems for evolutionary theory.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home